Renewable Power Project Finance
Green energy this, clean energy that, and then what about sustainable energy here, and renewable energy there, and what about alternative energy, or environmentally friendly, or… many terms very sexy this millennia yet interchangeably used to say a slightly different thing. We will not interfere in explaining which is what, yet rather say what we mean by that:
- Clean energy as in clean air / water / earth at every stage of production & consumption (so it includes sources such as nuclear energy)
- Renewable energy as in recyclable / re-growable / renewable resources (here nuclear is dependent on whether uranium is considered finite)
- Green energy as in clean energy but also coming from natural renewable resources (here there is a problem with nuclear waste)
- Sustainable energy as then also green if environmental aspects also satisfy long-term socioeconomics (while nuclear may be most sustainable of all, issues are safety record & water use)
- Alternative energy as in renewable for most people, but in here, as alternative to whatever is mainstream in a particular location (so say nuclear in Iran)
Hydropower plant installations started at the end of the 19th century, with the largest developments in the West & East blocks being built before & after the Second World War. Today the largest plants are typically in places like China and Brazil, and new (large) capacities keep on being added.
Given the environment consciousness of the late, large scale hydro is considered as damaging to the river & forest ecosystems, as well as displacing to people & animal populations- so there is a lot of research going towards small-scale / off-grid / captive hydropower.
As one would imagine, hydro potential is where there is a lot of rain and where there are rivers & lakes to store it for a season. Solar potential would approximately be the opposite of hydro, while wind potential can be found everywhere with the strongest gushes typically being at the edges of the continents or where the mountains meet the seas.
Most of the talk today is of wind & solar, the initial buildup was through state feed-in incentives and thereon through the technological improvements. Given the oscillations in power output, today a manufacturing trend is into hybrid power which uses sun or wind in balancing combo with gas or while a battery storage system. This is probably the closest to the definition of alternative energy because it comes in form of tech innovation.
Irena has a great snapshot of the renewable energy supply around the world, so not repeat what it says please do have a look. Irena also has an atlas of maps for quick & dirty evaluation of locations, say for geothermal energy (huge potential!)
What about nuclear energy? Although bulk of the stock is old, with those first plants built in the 50s already out of commission, and as the plants from the 60s & 70s are counting their days as we speak, nuclear power still accounts for about 10% of all power generated globally.
2EMMA analysts believe that nuclear energy (and uranium along with it) still has a lot of potential, and if not in the typical large-scale capacity, then certainly in smaller (cluster) reactor type of instalments.
To wrap up the sources of energy, we are not going to talk of fossil fuels because even oil giants do not want to speak of them- for example BP going off oil, or Exxon Mobil being scrapped of Dow Industrial Index; and the Economist calling it game over… instead a larger grouping of natural sources recycled into bio-energy.
Some of the more popular sources of biomass, which in turn become a quick burning energy are sugarcane, agricultural residue/waste, algae, wood-chips, non-productive bushes/plants/tress, urban garbage, etc. With the technological advancement more & more can be squeezed out of biomass, while less & less pollutants are released in the process.
So if we stick to renewables- biomass, hydro, wind, sun & geothermal– then we have a lot of potential across our EMMA country focus:
- SADC: African monsoon belt, from DRC to Mozambique
- MENA: potential water wars in the region with Turkey & Syria controling most of it
- CACA: some ex-USSR infrastructure still in place in Kyrgyzstan & Tajikistan
- SEE: good rainfall & many rivers in most of the Balkans
- Wind & solar:
- Everywhere & anywhere, easy to install & relatively cheap for any capacity
- Well-established process for financing, deployment, generation & maintanance
- As if running a ‘real’ agri-farm
- Eastern Africa Rift – Ethiopia & Kenya, down towards SADC
- MENA & SEE, CACA – Atlas mountains; and Turkey, spreading to Balkans & CACA
- Modernisation: retrofit of boilers into existing sugar mills (Senegal, Sierra Leone, Cote d’Ivoire, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon, Congo-B, DRC, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania, Kenya)
- Efficiency: gumtree & palm plantation tree replacement / rotation (Liberia, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon, Congo-B)
- Diversity: biodiesel feedstocks such as jatropha trees and cotton grains (Burkina Faso & rest of West Africa)
- Recycling: coal-bed methane into methane gas (abandoned coal mines in SADC)
- Control: bush encroachment to use invasive bushes (from Namibia to the East African savannas)
While a case study for cleaner & more efficient energy could probably be built anywhere in the world- Africa serves as best case in point due to its large size and poor energy infrastructure, while wind power serves as a good sample for project development / finance: If you would like to know more about this Renewable Power Project Finance Vitrine Theme– you can write us with a genuine interest to discuss this further, and we will send you the password to the next sections of the renewable power case: It includes the experts involved, their approach to project development in Africa, and the example of a wind project finance template
Theme Related Tracker
- Consequential President Biden Actions Nobody Is Talking Abouton January 25, 2021
The first 24 hours of the administration of President Joe Biden were filled not only with ceremony, but also with real action
- Waymo Boss Takes Shots At Tesla & FSD — Nothing New Here (Update: Elon Musk Responds)on January 25, 2021
We've seen this before. Tesla does something new. The competition decries that this will never happen. The Model 3 will never come. The Model Y is vaporware. Gigafactory 3 is a mud field. The newest FUD comes from Waymo CEO John Krafcik, who said that Tesla's "full self-driving" system isn't the right approach toward a fully autonomous vehicle
- One Year On: A Look At New Jersey’s EV Progress In 2020on January 25, 2021
This blog is the fourth in a series exploring the state of electric vehicle policy in New Jersey
- Tesla To Host A Virtual Info Session For Energy Careerson January 25, 2021
Tesla has announced on its LinkedIn page that it is holding two virtual info sessions for those who are interested in learning about careers in Tesla Energy, solar roof, and solar panels
- India’s Pravaig Dynamics Unveils Its Luxury EV, The Pravaig Extinction MK1on January 24, 2021
Pravaig has a prototype of its vehicle, the Extinction MK1, a 2-door coupe with claimed specs of 504 kilometers (313 miles) per charge, a top speed of 196 km/h (121 mph), a 0-100 km/h (62 mph) 150 kW of power under its hood, and an 80% charge time of its 96 kWh lithium-ion battery in 30 minutes
- Toyota GR010 Hybrid Hypercar Vs. C+pod Electric Vehicle: Compare & Contraston January 24, 2021
Don't be fooled by appearances: Toyota's GR010 Hypercar plays to the hybrid market, but watch those behind-the scenes electric vehicle battery moves
- Video shows Tacoma police officer drive into crowd, injuring at least 1 - CBS Newson January 25, 2021
Video shows Tacoma police officer drive into crowd, injuring at least 1 CBS News Tacoma police officer drives through crowd, leaving at least one person injured, officials say CNN Police car in Tacoma, Washington, smashes through crowd watching street racers Yahoo News Destruction as […]
- Merck ends COVID vaccine program, cites inferior immune responses - Yahoo Financeon January 25, 2021
Merck ends COVID vaccine program, cites inferior immune responses Yahoo Finance Merck ends Covid vaccine program, citing inferior immune responses CNBC Merck Shuts Down Covid Vaccine Program After Lackluster Data Bloomberg In a major setback, Merck to stop developing its Covid-19 […]
- Deborah Birx said Trump was being given ‘parallel data’ on covid-19 - The Washington Poston January 25, 2021
Deborah Birx said Trump was being given ‘parallel data’ on covid-19 The Washington Post Birx says someone was giving Trump 'parallel data' about Covid pandemic CNBC Face The Nation: Dr. Deborah Birx Face the Nation In candid interview, Birx says she knew working with Trump White […]
- Dozens Arrested, Thousands Ticketed As Dutch Protest New Virus Lockdown Measures : Coronavirus Updates - NPRon January 25, 2021
Dozens Arrested, Thousands Ticketed As Dutch Protest New Virus Lockdown Measures : Coronavirus Updates NPR Anti-lockdown rioters clash with Dutch police in two cities in the Netherlands Guardian News Dutch politicians condemn weekend rioting as curfew started Associated Press Covid: […]
- Biden will sign executive order aimed at strengthening American manufacturing - CNNon January 25, 2021
Biden will sign executive order aimed at strengthening American manufacturing CNN Biden to sign 'Buy American' executive order Monday NBC News Biden to Sign Buy American Order for Government Procurement The Wall Street Journal Joe Biden's talk of 'healing' is pointless, and will be seen […]
- PETA Wants USDA to Investigate Doc Antle Over Larsa Pippen Visit - TMZon January 25, 2021
PETA Wants USDA to Investigate Doc Antle Over Larsa Pippen Visit TMZ