Renewable Power Project Finance
Green energy this, clean energy that, and then what about sustainable energy here, and renewable energy there, and what about alternative energy, or environmentally friendly, or… many terms very sexy this millennia yet interchangeably used to say a slightly different thing. We will not interfere in explaining which is what, yet rather say what we mean by that:
- Clean energy as in clean air / water / earth at every stage of production & consumption (so it includes sources such as nuclear energy)
- Renewable energy as in recyclable / re-growable / renewable resources (here nuclear is dependent on whether uranium is considered finite)
- Green energy as in clean energy but also coming from natural renewable resources (here there is a problem with nuclear waste)
- Sustainable energy as then also green if environmental aspects also satisfy long-term socioeconomics (while nuclear may be most sustainable of all, issues are safety record & water use)
- Alternative energy as in renewable for most people, but in here, as alternative to whatever is mainstream in a particular location (so say nuclear in Iran)
Hydropower plant installations started at the end of the 19th century, with the largest developments in the West & East blocks being built before & after the Second World War. Today the largest plants are typically in places like China and Brazil, and new (large) capacities keep on being added.
Given the environment consciousness of the late, large scale hydro is considered as damaging to the river & forest ecosystems, as well as displacing to people & animal populations- so there is a lot of research going towards small-scale / off-grid / captive hydropower.
As one would imagine, hydro potential is where there is a lot of rain and where there are rivers & lakes to store it for a season. Solar potential would approximately be the opposite of hydro, while wind potential can be found everywhere with the strongest gushes typically being at the edges of the continents or where the mountains meet the seas.
Most of the talk today is of wind & solar, the initial buildup was through state feed-in incentives and thereon through the technological improvements. Given the oscillations in power output, today a manufacturing trend is into hybrid power which uses sun or wind in balancing combo with gas or while a battery storage system. This is probably the closest to the definition of alternative energy because it comes in form of tech innovation.
Irena has a great snapshot of the renewable energy supply around the world, so not repeat what it says please do have a look. Irena also has an atlas of maps for quick & dirty evaluation of locations, say for geothermal energy (huge potential!)
What about nuclear energy? Although bulk of the stock is old, with those first plants built in the 50s already out of commission, and as the plants from the 60s & 70s are counting their days as we speak, nuclear power still accounts for about 10% of all power generated globally.
2EMMA analysts believe that nuclear energy (and uranium along with it) still has a lot of potential, and if not in the typical large-scale capacity, then certainly in smaller (cluster) reactor type of instalments.
To wrap up the sources of energy, we are not going to talk of fossil fuels because even oil giants do not want to speak of them- for example BP going off oil, or Exxon Mobil being scrapped of Dow Industrial Index; and the Economist calling it game over… instead a larger grouping of natural sources recycled into bio-energy.
Some of the more popular sources of biomass, which in turn become a quick burning energy are sugarcane, agricultural residue/waste, algae, wood-chips, non-productive bushes/plants/tress, urban garbage, etc. With the technological advancement more & more can be squeezed out of biomass, while less & less pollutants are released in the process.
So if we stick to renewables- biomass, hydro, wind, sun & geothermal– then we have a lot of potential across our EMMA country focus:
- SADC: African monsoon belt, from DRC to Mozambique
- MENA: potential water wars in the region with Turkey & Syria controlling most of it
- CACA: some ex-USSR infrastructure still in place in Kyrgyzstan & Tajikistan
- SEE: good rainfall & many rivers in most of the Balkans
- Wind & solar:
- Everywhere & anywhere, easy to install & relatively cheap for any capacity
- Well-established process for financing, deployment, generation & maintenance
- As if running a ‘real’ agri-farm
- Eastern Africa Rift – Ethiopia & Kenya, down towards SADC
- MENA & SEE, CACA – Atlas mountains; and Turkey, spreading to Balkans & CACA
- Modernisation: retrofit of boilers into existing sugar mills (Senegal, Sierra Leone, Cote d’Ivoire, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon, Congo-B, DRC, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania, Kenya)
- Efficiency: gumtree & palm plantation tree replacement / rotation (Liberia, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon, Congo-B)
- Diversity: biodiesel feedstocks such as jatropha trees and cotton grains (Burkina Faso & rest of West Africa)
- Recycling: coal-bed methane into methane gas (abandoned coal mines in SADC)
- Control: bush encroachment to use invasive bushes (from Namibia to the East African savannas)
While a case study for cleaner & more efficient energy could probably be built anywhere in the world- Africa serves as best case in point due to its large size and poor energy infrastructure, while wind power serves as a good sample for project development / finance: If you would like to know more about this Renewable Power Project Finance Vitrine Theme– you can write us with a genuine interest to discuss this further, and we will send you the password to the next sections of the renewable power case: It includes the experts involved, their approach to project development in Africa, and the example of a wind project finance template
Theme Related Tracker
- YouTubers E-Biking Across The United States Show Need For Improvementson November 28, 2023
When I think about an e-bike, I usually think about fun rides on trails, and maybe short commutes and errands. ... [continued] The post YouTubers E-Biking Across The United States Show Need For Improvements appeared first on CleanTechnica.
- Stellantis Tries To Boost Development of Smart Manufacturing Practiceson November 28, 2023
When it comes to EVs, it’s easy to think a lot about how efficient they are after the vehicle leaves ... [continued] The post Stellantis Tries To Boost Development of Smart Manufacturing Practices appeared first on CleanTechnica.
- Where Does Vehicle Efficiency Go From Here?on November 28, 2023
In some ways, efficiency has been the main struggle in the automotive world for the last 40-50 years. There have ... [continued] The post Where Does Vehicle Efficiency Go From Here? appeared first on CleanTechnica.
- Why I’ll Probably Still Go For The Equinox EV, Despite Price Increaseson November 28, 2023
A few weeks ago, the EV media and social media scenes weren’t happy with GM. Why? Because there was a ... [continued] The post Why I’ll Probably Still Go For The Equinox EV, Despite Price Increases appeared first on CleanTechnica.
- The Best Is Yet To Come: New Tandem Silicon-Perovskite Solar Cell Sets Recordon November 28, 2023
The leading Chinese solar firm LONGi breaks another conversion record with its new silicon-perovskite tandem solar cell. The post The Best Is Yet To Come: New Tandem Silicon-Perovskite Solar Cell Sets Record appeared first on CleanTechnica.
- Mercedes-Benz Expanding Solar At South Africa Factory, Investing In EV Charging Countrywideon November 27, 2023
Mercedes-Benz South Africa (MBSA) is investing R100 million ($5.35 million USD) in a solar PV installation with 22,847 solar panels ... [continued] The post Mercedes-Benz Expanding Solar At South Africa Factory, Investing In EV Charging Countrywide appeared first on CleanTechnica.
- Israel Gaza: 33 Palestinians released on fourth day of truce - BBC.comon November 28, 2023
Israel Gaza: 33 Palestinians released on fourth day of truce BBC.comIsrael-Hamas War: 11 Israeli Hostages Are Released The New York TimesIsraeli hostages freed by Hamas reunited with families, admitted to hospital | LiveNOW from FOX LiveNOW from FOXIsrael's OK on extending cease-fire […]
- Panthers move on from Duce Staley, Josh McCown - Panthers.comon November 28, 2023
Panthers move on from Duce Staley, Josh McCown Panthers.comCarolina Panthers fire head coach Frank Reich - ESPN ESPNRich Eisen on the Panthers’ Next Steps after Firing Frank Reich | The Rich Eisen Show The Rich Eisen ShowPanthers owner David Tepper is stealing Charlotte's sports […]
- Rescuers successfully drill through to trapped men in Himalayan tunnel in breakthrough for perilous operation - CNNon November 28, 2023
Rescuers successfully drill through to trapped men in Himalayan tunnel in breakthrough for perilous operation CNNIndia tunnel collapse: rescuers start drilling downwards after safer options fail Guardian NewsTrapped in a Tunnel for 15 Days, With No End in Sight The New York Times'Rat-hole' […]
- Teyana Taylor Not Living with Iman Shumpert, Angry He Made Divorce Public - TMZon November 28, 2023
Teyana Taylor Not Living with Iman Shumpert, Angry He Made Divorce Public TMZTeyana Taylor Addresses Quietly Filing for Divorce From Iman Shumpert E! NEWSTeyana Taylor Addresses 'Leaked' Court Docs Amid Divorce CassiusIman Shumpert Accuses Ex Teyana Taylor of Failing to Turn Over Financial […]
- Parthenon marbles row derails talks between UK’s Sunak, Greece’s Mitsotakis - Al Jazeera Englishon November 28, 2023
Parthenon marbles row derails talks between UK’s Sunak, Greece’s Mitsotakis Al Jazeera EnglishUK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak cancels meet with Greek PM over Elgin Marbles row | BBC News BBC NewsAmid Parthenon Dispute, Sunak Cancels Meeting With Mitsotakis The New York TimesGreece, UK […]
- Bennu: 'Most dangerous asteroid' sample arrives in UK | BBC News - BBC Newson November 28, 2023
Bennu: 'Most dangerous asteroid' sample arrives in UK | BBC News BBC NewsView Full Coverage on Google News